Monday, February 18, 2013

Running is Not a Team Sport...?

Until a couple of years ago, I always ran by myself. I thought other people would hold me back or push me too hard, and I liked the convenience of going whenever I wanted. And all these things are still true! But then I was introduced to group running through my awesome Cholla Chicks. They push me, support me and drink with me and I am a thousand times better at running because of them. They helped me identify as a runner instead of just a person who goes running for exercise, which in turn connected me to a whole bunch more awesome people!

These are some examples of the intrepid Cholla Chick 
 (Chollus Chickii) species, known for their extreme endurance

I say that to say this: Ragnar is this Friday!  Listen, all races are fun for me. Short ones, long ones, obstacle courses, the burlap sack race at the company picnic. But there is nothing like an endurance relay. We're doing an Ultra team, which means six of us take turns running 212 miles total. But the relay legs are only a part of it. While one person is running, the other five of us, our loyal and stupendous driver/navigators, and our two satellite pilots leapfrog the course cheering, providing support, giving fuel, planning ahead, encouraging, and generally being freaking wonderful to each other. We go for 30+ hours with no sleep on dead legs, and the only thing each of us wants is for the other five girls to do great. Marriage is intimate, but not as intimate as Ragnar.

Endurance runners are a unique bunch of freaks.  Here's a quote from my friend Carl--we went to high school together eons ago, haven't seen each other since:

The thing that I love the most about the Run/Endurance culture is that we are linked by a bond that is forged by shared exhilaration and suffering. You and I were never more than passing acquaintances during our time in school, but late in life I know that in you I have a "sister in pain" that shares a unique bond that can only be known by those that have bled on the same field of battle. Congrats on your accomplishment. Rest and dream. It's time to start Triathlon Training. : )

Let's just push the triathlon suggestion to the back burner, shall we?? But you see what I mean. You haven't experienced closeness until you've sat in a van with someone who has sweated intensely for 18 hours, smells like rotten buttcrack, and still wanted to hug them because they got a half marathon PR in the middle of a 16-mile leg.

When we ran this race last year (described here in my friend Mandi's blog), I felt so much more exhilaration at the end than I generally do after a race.
Maybe it's because I ran with these crazies

This race takes all my favorite parts of running and jams them together for a day and a half, and then we get to drink beer at the end. What could be better?

Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment